• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Victor

Victor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:05 PM

"Working on it" and "in the tracking system" are neither synonymous nor mutually exclusive. The reality includes all possibilities. The wait time can range from immediate to infinite. You may wish to consider your options sooner, rather than later. Is this especially critical or merely a nice-to-have? Is there any other way with which you could advance your research or reporting?

I have explored every option which I know of. When you get to the 32nd generation, the standard numbering goes out due to the 32 bit limitation of the PC. For example, the # of a 31st generation ancestor would be 1,073,741,824, the 32nd generation should be 2,147,483,648 and the 33rd should be 4,294,967,296. Instead, what you get for the 32nd generation is some number which goes backward and does not correspond to the number it should, and the 33rd, becomes a negative number, and the 34th is 0, and sometimes, after a wife is numbered 1, you begin doubling again. The problem is that without working from a pedigree chart to the narrative report, you have no way of knowing who the father of the 31st generation is and so forth for the other higher generations. If you know a way to set the numbering to the same as the index number, and place a note at the lower generation which says 7189 John Smith's parent's are: 8156: Raymond Smith and 8157: Evelyn Hathaway (just some arbitrary numbers and names). This is what I am trying to do, so in a report (narrative or Ahnentafel) you can follow if you don't have the RootsMagic pedigree in front of you (other family members who would like to see the report).

I do know that Family Tree Legends does have this option, but it blows up when I try to run the report on a larger file (due, I guess to some program limitation). I moved from FTL to RootsMagic because I like the program much better, and it seems to be a better program except for this one problem. I realize that version 4 (updated) and 5 do what I am asking, but instead of listing the parents of the lower generation, it lists the children of the parents and the number. But there has to be some way to override the person numbering system of doubling for a generation, but I have yet to find it, and the custom report feature is useless for anything like this.

Thanks for listening. Sorry for going on so long.

Vic

#22 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:44 PM

I've gone over this thread and am confused as to
  • What is the problem you are trying to solve?
  • Is the old ahnentafel report ok with numbering? Above 2^32?
  • The rm ahnentafel is not?
  • The rm narrative with ahnentafel is not?
  • The rm narrative with register is ok?
  • Would a Reference Number fact containing the ahnentafel number from the same descendant as your old report solve your correlation problem? You could search it using rm's Search Person and the search tool in PDF or rtf apps. Question is how to get it assigned to each person. Copy RIN to REFN shows a way to add a REFN fact to any named group containing the RIN. Maybe we could find a way to generate the ahnentafel number in SQLite and adapt this procedure.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#23 Victor

Victor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:37 PM

I've gone over this thread and am confused as to

• What is the problem you are trying to solve?
  • Is the old ahnentafel report ok with numbering? Above 2^32?
  • The rm ahnentafel is not?
  • The rm narrative with ahnentafel is not?
  • The rm narrative with register is ok?
  • Would a Reference Number fact containing the ahnentafel number from the same descendant as your old report solve your correlation problem? You could search it using rm's Search Person and the search tool in PDF or rtf apps. Question is how to get it assigned to each person. Copy RIN to REFN shows a way to add a REFN fact to any named group containing the RIN. Maybe we could find a way to generate the ahnentafel number in SQLite and adapt this procedure.

Tom:

The problem I am having is trying to follow ancestors after the 32nd generation. That is where the numbering system for both the Ahnentafel and narrative reports lose integrity. If you don't know the name of the ancestors after this generation, there is no way of finding it, as all numbering reverts back to 0, and then you have multiple persons with the same number of 0. If there is a way to use reference numbering instead of the doubling (but then you have the same problem, as who belongs to whom), so there needs to be a means to add a parental listing to every person in either the Ahnentafel or narrative, as both have the same problem. Your statement of how to get it assigned is the $64 question.

Thanks,

Vic

#24 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:51 PM

I have been working on a SQLite query that traces every direct ancestral line back 62 generations. If given the RIN is there any need for ahnentafel?

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#25 Victor

Victor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:03 PM

I have been working on a SQLite query that traces every direct ancestral line back 62 generations. If given the RIN is there any need for ahnentafel?

Does this work for all ancestors, or just a single direct line? If it works for all ancestors of a given person, I guess not. I just would like to see all facts and notes displayed, which is why I use the narrative.

Vic

#26 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:37 PM

If you look at Ancestors Query, you will see a 12 generation + 13th gen parents predecessor to what I am now playing with. Pretty basic on screen report that lists the RINs of the direct ancestral line for every person in the database; no names, notes or facts. The longer version does much the same plus it computes the Ahnentafel number for the last person in each line. I think it's getting unwieldy to generate the A-number for each person in a line working solely within SQlite - a high level language on top is needed. Does this look to be at all helpful?

#27 leeirons

leeirons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:51 PM

If you have just one branch extending past 32 generations, there is a partial solution.

Do one report for exactly 32 generations. Then start over with another report with the ending person from the first report as the starting person for the second report. The numbers would start over.

The real solution would be double precision arithmetic going to 64 generations. But then someone would ask for 100 generations.

The real solution is using the 32 bits in a different way to calculate the numbers in the report. After all, 2147483647 is the largest integer in a 32-bit system. The programmer just needs to think outside the box. Might require some major reprogramming.