• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Victor

Victor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:05 PM

I would like to be able to take an existing report, and add specific information to it, so if there are other problems (like the 32-bit limit), it can be bypassed. It would also be nice to be able to change the numbering system on the ahnentafel or narrative lists so instead of using the *2 function, use the index number for each person. Also, if we could be able to modify the existing reports, we could bypass the 32-bit limit or other things in the pre-fab reports to get the information we want to see in our report.

Again, back to the ahnentafel and narrative reports, when you hit between the 32nd and 36th generations (due to a 32-bit limitation), the numbering goes back to zero, and then when you have a duplicate with 100 people in the 49th generation which says "0. Is the same person as 0", which 0 do you follow? If the numbering system was able to change to an index value, then for every person in the ahnentafel, you could add this little line "James Young's #123 parents are Richard Young #456 and Joan Beauchamp #467", or something similar. This makes finding an ancestor much easier if using a PDF or text document.

This problem became very evident for me when my computer crashed, and my daughter had used my flash drive and had deleted my backup files for more room. I have spent the last few months recreating 25+ years of research and getting it back into the system. I had luckily saved an ahnentafel just before the crash, so I had at least something to work with, but again, past that 32nd generation, it becomes unusable, unless you search for a name, and hope that it didn't change for that individual's parents.

Thanks for listening, and I hope these wishes are granted, "Oh, Mighty Buzzee".

Vic

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8470 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:41 PM

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Nevada Kid

Nevada Kid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:55 AM

Renee,

Can we find which enhancement requests are in our tracking system. This way we won't ask for something already being considered.

Paul

#4 Victor

Victor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:16 PM

Renee and Paul:

What does the tracking system mean? Is that something that you are planning to do, or something that is available?

Not sure what it means.

Thanks,
Vic

#5 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2069 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:32 PM

From what I understand, the tracking system is a means to allow RM staff to record what issues and wishes have been reported and then to track them, whether by accept/reject status, priority, progress, etc. For competitive purposes, it's intentionally kept internal to the company, so not available to the public at large.

If something is stated to be in the tracking system, you can infer that it will be considered for resolution, but won't necessarily be aware of what's going on with it behind the scenes.

#6 Nevada Kid

Nevada Kid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:31 PM

Thanks Romer,

I did not think about that aspect of keeping this info private.

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8470 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:28 PM

From what I understand, the tracking system is a means to allow RM staff to record what issues and wishes have been reported and then to track them, whether by accept/reject status, priority, progress, etc. For competitive purposes, it's intentionally kept internal to the company, so not available to the public at large.

If something is stated to be in the tracking system, you can infer that it will be considered for resolution, but won't necessarily be aware of what's going on with it behind the scenes.

Confirming Romer is correct!
Renee
RootsMagic

#8 Victor

Victor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:21 AM

Thanks for the information. I was wondering, and now I know. The next question is, how will I know if this issue gets resolved or if it won't?

I really appreciate your help.

Vic

#9 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2069 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:57 PM

When an update is released, click the link provided on the announcement screen to see if a particular feature is among those listed. That link takes you to the appropriate page on the RootsMagic blog.

#10 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:29 PM

When an update is released, click the link provided on the announcement screen to see if a particular feature is among those listed. That link takes you to the appropriate page on the RootsMagic blog.

Not all "minor" fixes are always listed on the update list.

I call those fixes "Bruce's little surprise" when I run on to them. :)

#11 Victor

Victor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:30 PM

How then do I know if my request is one of the "fixed" items?

More curious and more curious .... as the plot thickens ....

Vic

#12 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2069 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:02 PM

You might get a reply in a relevant thread from someone noticing a requested item going into production, but the RootsMagic blog ought to be your first point of reference when an update is released.

#13 Victor

Victor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:47 AM

You might get a reply in a relevant thread from someone noticing a requested item going into production, but the RootsMagic blog ought to be your first point of reference when an update is released.

Hello again. I am checking back to see if my request has been done. I realize that a couple of updates and a new release have been done, but I can find nothing which says anything about being able to edit existing lists, or making a truly custom report. Has that been accomplished?

Also, on another line, is there any way to generate a list or report from one specific person to another, showing descendancy or ascendancy? This would be nice also.

Thanks,
Vic

#14 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:38 AM

Check the Announcements Forum for lists of changes for each update.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#15 Victor

Victor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:12 AM

I just downloaded version 5 essentials. What I was asking is partially included. For each person in the Ahnentafel, the children of each family are included, but the one thing which I still find lacking is the listing of parents for each individual in the Ahnentafel. The problem occurs after generation 32, which I know is a limit of the 32-bit system, but I still believe that if an option were given in the Ahnentafle screen to include parents names in the report would be great. The narrative report give the correct information, without losing integrity after generation 32, so right now, to follow the line through ancestors, I have to have a copy of the Ahnentafel and narrative report and work between them. I guess my question now becomes, why can the Ahnentafel follow all lines back (with no 32 bit limit), but the narrative report will not. I would like the source information and notes which are included in the narrative, but the numbering system to follow as in the Ahnentafel. I just realized that the numbering system is the same, and the Ahnentafel does blow up after 32 generations. I was just comparing numbers. I still think that even if you could use a different numbering system, or even place the parents name in the narrative report, as yhou do with the children, it would resolve the problem.

Any suggestions?

Vic

#16 Victor

Victor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:04 PM

The announcement forum does not list anything about what I am trying to accomplish. That's why I am posting it here, as maybe some user has tried something similar, or maybe the developers will have some way to do this. Thanks for you comments.

Vic

#17 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8470 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:03 PM

I just downloaded version 5 essentials. What I was asking is partially included. For each person in the Ahnentafel, the children of each family are included, but the one thing which I still find lacking is the listing of parents for each individual in the Ahnentafel. The problem occurs after generation 32, which I know is a limit of the 32-bit system, but I still believe that if an option were given in the Ahnentafle screen to include parents names in the report would be great. The narrative report give the correct information, without losing integrity after generation 32, so right now, to follow the line through ancestors, I have to have a copy of the Ahnentafel and narrative report and work between them. I guess my question now becomes, why can the Ahnentafel follow all lines back (with no 32 bit limit), but the narrative report will not. I would like the source information and notes which are included in the narrative, but the numbering system to follow as in the Ahnentafel. I just realized that the numbering system is the same, and the Ahnentafel does blow up after 32 generations. I was just comparing numbers. I still think that even if you could use a different numbering system, or even place the parents name in the narrative report, as yhou do with the children, it would resolve the problem.

Any suggestions?

Vic

I am unable to personally answer your question why certain reports behave differently in using Ahnentafel numbers and where they break down. I can tell you that a desire for the Ahnentafel report to go beyond 32 generations is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#18 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:23 PM

Any suggestions?

Vic

If you have just one branch extending past 32 generations, there is a partial solution.

Do one report for exactly 32 generations. Then start over with another report with the ending person from the first report as the starting person for the second report. The numbers would start over.

The real solution would be double precision arithmetic going to 64 generations. But then someone would ask for 100 generations.

#19 Victor

Victor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:01 AM

If you have just one branch extending past 32 generations, there is a partial solution.

Do one report for exactly 32 generations. Then start over with another report with the ending person from the first report as the starting person for the second report. The numbers would start over.

The real solution would be double precision arithmetic going to 64 generations. But then someone would ask for 100 generations.

Yeah, I know. I have thought of that also, but then the problem becomes multiple files and trying to keep all of them in line and who goes where. Right now, it is just complicated to get what I am trying to do. At least, Renee says they are working on this, so we will wait and see the solution, I guess.

#20 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:30 AM

At least, Renee says they are working on this, so we will wait and see the solution, I guess.

"Working on it" and "in the tracking system" are neither synonymous nor mutually exclusive. The reality includes all possibilities. The wait time can range from immediate to infinite. You may wish to consider your options sooner, rather than later. Is this especially critical or merely a nice-to-have? Is there any other way with which you could advance your research or reporting?

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.