Photo

Collateral Families verses everyone in tree?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Wessel

Wessel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:02 PM

Can someone explain the difference between "Everyone in the highlighted persons tree" and "Descendants of highlighted person" "Descendants and collateral lines" under the Export GEDCOM screen. When I export a GEDCOM using either one of these, the number of people is the same. I have read through Bruce's book and have not been able to find any reference to these. Thanks for the help.

Al - Madison

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:34 PM

Descendants and collateral lines collects anyone connected to those descendants and anyone connected to them etc. until everyone connected in any chain is collected.

IF one of those descendants happens to be connected to any of the starting person's ancestor tree in any way, then everyone in the tree is selected.
If a descendant, several generations down happens to have married someone who is a descendant of someone farther up in the tree, that will link the whole tree as a collateral line.

The same goes for ancestors and collateral lines, if one of the ancestors happens to be connected in any way to one of the descendants, no matter how far removed, then the whole tree will be selected.

It is sometimes quite difficult to find these interconnected lines.
Alfred

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:57 PM

Look at Tools, Count Trees. See the help file for Counting trees.
I have 2 trees in my database

[my name] with 16782 people linked together by parents, child, spouse, or spouse's parents and their children in that tree.
Unconnected Research 2ith 482 people linked together from a common ancestor, Unconnected Research

Everyone in the highlighted person's tree:

If I highlight a person who is linked in my tree all the 16782 people in that tree will be marked. None of the people in the Unconnected Research tree will be marked.

Descendants and collateral lines

All the 16782 people in that tree will be marked as they are linked to the highlighted person which is in [my name] tree. None of the people in the Unconnected Research tree will be marked.

#4 Wessel

Wessel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:14 PM

Thank you for the information. I think I understand it now. I have been using RM for about 4 years and finally have the time to start trying to understand all of its features.
Since many of my ancestors married between the same families in the small community, I have no simple descendant tree unless I use only the descendants and spouse or descendant only if I understand you correctly.

Al - Madison