6 replies to this topic

#1 Nevada Kid

Nevada Kid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:49 PM

With the Date Calculator, it would be great if the End Date would default to todays date. This way when closing the calculator then having to open the calculator again you wouldn't have to keep adding todays date. Also have it be able to change the End Date as needed.

Paul

#2 Nevada Kid

Nevada Kid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:03 PM

This request should of been in the Wish List.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8493 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:05 PM

Personally, I wouldn't like this feature. I mainly use the date calculator to help me determine a person's age at a given time, and it hardly ever is today's date. Having it default to today's date would make me have to delete it and cause me more steps in the process. I will wait for a consensus on adding this feature before I put it in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#4 John James

John James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:34 PM

I wouldn't want this but there was some previous discussion on the date calculator on the link below.

http://forums.rootsm...h__1#entry32580

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:20 PM

I wouldn't like having to delete today's date every time I used the calculator either.

I mainly enter the census year in the end date box and the age in the census in the Age box to calculate the approximate year of birth.

The only time I can remember using the current date in the end date box is to calculate when someone asked me how old a person would be if they had lived to the current date or how many years a couple has been married. That only happens rarely at a reunion.

#6 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:03 PM

I wouldn't like having to delete today's date every time I used the calculator either.

Totally agree. :)

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#7 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:54 AM

With the Date Calculator, it would be great if the End Date would default to todays date. This way when closing the calculator then having to open the calculator again you wouldn't have to keep adding todays date. Also have it be able to change the End Date as needed.

You might try this little utility called TicTocTitle:

http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Skrommel/#TicTocTitle

It displays the current date and time (format of your choosing) in the active titlebar of whichever program has focus at the time (Pretty handy).
It also allows you to just double click your mouse on it's tray icon and it then has stored the current date (and/or) time (format of your choosing) into the Windows clipboard for quick pasting wherever you need it.

Download and save the file to it's own folder somewhere and then run it once to see the date and time appear on RootsMagic's titlebar at the top. After it has been run for the first time. Exit out of it and you'll notice the program has created one additional file in the program's folder by the name of TicTocTitle.ini. Open that file up with a text editor and edit the file to adjust the format of the date to be pasted by changing one line. Set the following:

copystring=d Mmmm yyyy

The program must be restarted AFTER any changes to the .INI file in order for them to be detected on startup.
The settings can be confirmed by right clicking on the program's tray icon and choosing -> Settings
The formatting options are also explained there.
Just a thought :)

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N