3 replies to this topic

#1 JeffH13

JeffH13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:13 PM

I want to use the abbreviated place names that I've set up in the place list, for example in a narrative report. How do I do that?

For example, I may have a place Syracuse, Onondaga, New York but I want all usage in my narrative to be Syracuse, New York.

Thanks,
Jeff

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:54 PM

In the List - Place list, you enter the short name in the abbreviated place name field.
Then you edit the sentence template using [Place:short] to use that abbreviation in your narrative reports.

What little checking I have done, if there is no abbreviation, the regular long place name is used, so you could probably get by with editing the fact's Principal role sentence template rather than customizing them for a large group of people.
Alfred

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:38 PM

I think it is important to show the full place name before it is abbreviated in the rest of a person's narrative report. I would show the full place name in the default fact sentence and customize facts sentences [place:short] for other facts for the person using the same place.

John Smith was born in Syracuse, Onondaga, New York. He died in Syracuse.

#4 John James

John James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:06 AM

I think it is important to show the full place name before it is abbreviated in the rest of a person's narrative report. I would show the full place name in the default fact sentence and customize facts sentences [place:short] for other facts for the person using the same place.

John Smith was born in Syracuse, Onondaga, New York. He died in Syracuse.

It would be better and more complete if the option existed for subsequent uses of the same place to be abbreviated.