16 replies to this topic

#1 Guy

Guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:59 PM

I have gone through my media files and organized the naming convention of many of the file names. Now of course I need to go back and correct my records to point to the new file names in RootsMagic. I know that if I run the Media List it will show me the names of files it could not find. However, I was thinking that there was another way to just find and list the missing files. I thought I had done this in the past, but now I cannot figure how to do this. Can someone help?

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3404 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:19 PM

I have gone through my media files and organized the naming convention of many of the file names. Now of course I need to go back and correct my records to point to the new file names in RootsMagic. I know that if I run the Media List it will show me the names of files it could not find. However, I was thinking that there was another way to just find and list the missing files. I thought I had done this in the past, but now I cannot figure how to do this. Can someone help?

Within RM at present there is no further help for renamed files although it is hoped for, read http://www.vyger.co....ia-gallery.html for some of the Media Gallery wishes already expressed and do post your own thoughts on the pinned wish list item at http://forums.rootsm...-media-gallery/

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:02 PM

However, I was thinking that there was another way to just find and list the missing files. I thought I had done this in the past, but now I cannot figure how to do this. Can someone help?

There is really no way RootsMagic could possibly know the new names you created when renaming the old files (outside the program) in order to search for them and act upon them. The best way to have handled this would have been (for each filename changed):

1. Open Media Gallery
2. Higlight a thumbnail/filename
3. Click <File> button to bring up <Open> dialog box
4. Note highlighted filename in <File name:> block at the bottom of <Open> dialog box
5. Find and right-click upon matching filename (usually in <Name> column of <Open> dialog box) to bring up context menu for Rename -OR- single left-click upon the filename, pause for a second, single left click again (normal convention to rename a file) upon the filename
6. Click <Open> button at bottom of <Open> dialog box

RootsMagic will then have registered the filename change underneath the thumbnail and maintained the proper link in the <Media Properties> pane (to the right of all thumbnails).

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3404 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:26 PM

There is really no way RootsMagic could possibly know the new names you created when renaming the old files (outside the program) in order to search for them and act upon them.

There is of course CRC

"In other words, the chance of two different files having the same CRC should only be about 1 in 4 billion (2^32=largest 32-bit number)"

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Root

#5 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:38 AM

There is of course CRC

"In other words, the chance of two different files having the same CRC should only be about 1 in 4 billion (2^32=largest 32-bit number)"

Sure, it's plausible, but how many programs are you aware of that are currently available for this sole purpose (there are a number on the web) that can accurately and discretely (no false positives) find only those duplicates and how should the programmer measure/justify the amount of coding effort necessary for that one little task to make it prudent/practical? He could also incorporate an entire word processor ala MS Word (or even just Notepad++) and full OCR recognition and a PDF editor and a Macro facility and <insert desired program suite function here>. :)

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#6 MVS

MVS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:11 AM

I wrote a .NET utility a little while ago that examined the RM data and came up with a list of:

- missing files (ie, referred to in RM but not present on disk storage where expected)
- potential files (ones that looked like the missing ones above but were found in another location)
- unused files (ie files on the disk in the directories I used for genealogy storage but not referred to in the RM data).

(The last feature was the reason I wrote the utility as I wanted to ensure I was referencing all the images/files I had saved).

As I remember it was not many lines of code. And I think if a professional programmer in the RM team put his/her mind to it the system could be enhanced an awful lot to help us manage our image and other files from within RM.

regards,

MVS.

#7 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3404 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:36 AM

I wrote a .NET utility a little while ago that examined the RM data and came up with a list of:

Here is a screen shot of the utility MVS referred to shown side by side with RM Media Gallery. I have to say I have found it very useful and the only downside was that it acted on the gedcom and not the database. These sorts of recursive routines are not uncommon and having one built into RM would be a great help.

http://www.vyger.co....acer-and-RM.png

Root

#8 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3404 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:40 AM

I have a question in regard to the following information on your Web site for RootsMagic Media Gallery.

http://www.vyger.co....ia-gallery.html

Enhancement #2 - Target the Fix broken links utility scope

You mentioned a utility that was released. Do you know how I might get this utility? I posted a question on the RootsMagic Forum and no one mentioned this.

Thanks,

Guy, if you read post 6 & 7 above you will see above that MVS was the one who wrote the utility and would be the one you would need to make contact with.

This post is in response to the private email above and not a post on the forum.

Root

#9 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:05 AM

This is about what kbens0n wrote, but everyone seems to be trying to do it the hard way.

Within RootsMagic:
Go to the Lists menu and select Media gallery.
Browse down until you find an item with the broken link icon in the lower right corner, Click on it to outline it in red then click on the File Menu.
You should see the "Open" window.
Browse until you find the new name you gave this particular item and double click on it.

The only problem with this is that the display then reverts back to the very beginning of the media gallery so you have to slide the scroll bar down to where you left off.
Alfred

#10 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3404 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:23 AM

I have gone through my media files and organized the naming convention of many of the file names. Now of course I need to go back and correct my records to point to the new file names in RootsMagic.

Looking back at the original post there is no way to do this at present with files being remamed, the only way possible would be through the file CRC which would be another piece of information RM would need to store.

RM could of course help greatly here, I have a lot of media and looking through the thumbnails for the broken media link is a pain. To That end I would like to see a checkbox to show ONLY those files with Broken links.

As Alfred has just said it would be nice if you could return to where you left off although if the above was introduced then each file which is fixed should disappear from the list making the list of broken media items smaller and smaller in each session of work.

The final help I amd some others would like to see is help in finding media in the users media folders (specified) that are currently not linked to the database and therefore making the media lingage more complete.

Root

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8413 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:43 AM

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#12 craigg

craigg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:24 PM

It seems to me that the easiest way to do this would be for RootsMagic to include a rename function in the media gallery.

#13 rcollman

rcollman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:58 AM

Just a list showing missing media would be a huge help. For example a checkbox in the Missing Information List report, or one in the Multimedia List. I note that "Filename: [*NOT FOUND*]" is an entry in the Multimedia List. so some bit of programming has already been done.

I can appreciate it would be nice to have some links on a screen that only showed NOT FOUND media items. Then use the click on the red box media picture to fix it or delete the link from the fact. The scroll down is a drag (pun intended). Using the current multimedia list as an rtf in one screen and RM5 in the other to track down individuals and the facts, using Find next "NOT FOUND" just a big cumbersome (210 replacements when I bolded each entry with a search and replace).

How many people come up with a media file system that they use for 10 years? I started using the DOS ancestor of RM. Who would know that "Bob and Mimi holding hands.jpg" located in a folder called "Family pics" would evolve to "Smith Bob and Mimi cira 1945 holding hands.jpg" located in Genpics>Smith>FamilySmithPics. And cemetery stones and documents would get their own folders? Just saying it probably happens alot.

Chris

#14 rcollman

rcollman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:31 AM

Here is a way to get a list of media files not found. Use the Media List report and save it as an rft. When I opened it in Word2010 I noticed it was set up as a table with 2 columns. I selected the table, copied it and pasted it into a blank Excel worksheet. I put "name" in A1 and "File" in B1, expanded the column widths a bit.. Then I used data>sort on "File" or the B column. now my row 2 reads
Cell A2 Reid, Edward Young-5076
Cell B2 Filename: [*NOT FOUND*] \/aaaRR/HOME & FAMILY/Family History/Municipal Register, Hartford, 1910.jgp

I scrolled down and blocked out all the non NOT FOUND at the bottom of the list Out of my 1400 media file links, I now see the 210 which need fixing.

Took me more time to write this post than to do it. Granted I use Word and Excel every day and use this process a couple of times a week when different programs will not give me "just the facts" I want.

Hope this helps in the meantime.

#15 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1636 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:59 PM

I also use Excel and Word the way you explained. It bets complaining on the forum and get the job completed quicker..:)

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#16 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:22 PM

If you highlight a media and click on the Properties button and access the file by clicking on the Change media file button, the folder where RM thinks the file is will open and you can navigate to the folder the file was moved to or rename the file or move it around to another folder.

When you go back to the list in the Media gallery, the file you were working on is still highlighted.

#17 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6213 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:48 PM

RMtrix Media > File Links shows broken links and can be sorted to bring them all to the top of the list.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.