• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 barnesy

barnesy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:48 PM

I have Family Origins v8 which is working great on my windows 7. The only problem I am having is trying to export a gedcom file to take overseas with me. It keeps saying the disc is full even though Im trying to save it to the computer or a stick?
Any suggestions how this can be done?

Lynda

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 02:58 AM

I think you can go in and manually select Compatibility Mode. Right-click the program icon and select Properties.
Then click the Compatibility tab - then check the box Run this program in compatibility for and select the version of Windows from the dropdown. Now it will always run the program in Compatibility Mode for the version of Windows you selected.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 10:17 AM

Version 8 used the old style file system and when exporting a GEDCOM file it couldn't understand the new file structure of drive over two GB.

If you were to get a small, 2GB or less flash drive, it might work.
It seems that it would export to a CD also, although my memory is a long way from perfect.

Of course, you could upgrade to RootsMagic and import the Family Origins database directly, then export a GEDCOM file from there.

FOW 8 is about 13 years old now and, as you know, 13 is an unlucky number. :rolleyes:
Alfred

#4 barnesy

barnesy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 10:06 PM

Version 8 used the old style file system and when exporting a GEDCOM file it couldn't understand the new file structure of drive over two GB.

If you were to get a small, 2GB or less flash drive, it might work.
It seems that it would export to a CD also, although my memory is a long way from perfect.

Of course, you could upgrade to RootsMagic and import the Family Origins database directly, then export a GEDCOM file from there.

FOW 8 is about 13 years old now and, as you know, 13 is an unlucky number. :rolleyes:

I have Roots Magic version 1 but unable to import the database into it

#5 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 10:31 PM

Lynda, what's going wrong when you try the import? Are you receiving an error message, or does nothing happen when you attempt it?

I no longer have RM1 loaded, but in RM3, you would choose File > Import > Family Origins database (or File > Import > Family Origins backup). I'm assuming that the process would be similar if not the same in that earlier version.

#6 barnesy

barnesy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:29 PM

Lynda, what's going wrong when you try the import? Are you receiving an error message, or does nothing happen when you attempt it?

I no longer have RM1 loaded, but in RM3, you would choose File > Import > Family Origins database (or File > Import > Family Origins backup). I'm assuming that the process would be similar if not the same in that earlier version.

when I go to file import the only option I have is to import a gedcom file.............which is the problem I have.

#7 barnesy

barnesy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:33 PM

:) :) :)

Thank you Alfred, I have used a small memory stick and it worked. Think its time to upgrade my Roots Magic and put Family Origins to rest.

Lynda